Er-YAG and CO2 laser treatments (often branded as GynaeLase, MonaLisa Touch, IntimaLase & ThermiVa) offer three painless, non-surgical treatment options for vaginal tightening, both of which induce collagen regeneration in the vaginal mucosa, strengthening the vaginal walls and narrowing (tightening) the diameter of the vaginal cavity. Treatment takes only a few minutes and produces immediate tightening and contraction.
There is now available, a remarkably effective, painless and long term solution to the problem of vaginal stretching or Vaginal Relaxation Syndrome (VRS), a condition suffered to varying degrees not only by most post-menopausal women, but by a majority of younger women who have experienced childbirth.
- Various prescribed tightening creams and sprays to other pharmacological approaches and hormonal pessaries, all of which provided limited results and the need for repeated application.
- Behavioural options such as Kegel exercises which have a short term effectiveness.
- Surgical procedures in which vaginal and associated tissues are incised and reshaped (vaginoplasty) offer a longer lasting result, but come with increased risk of scar formation, infection or nerve damage.
- NOW – Er-YAG and CO2 laser treatments offer three painless, non-surgical treatment options, both of which induce collagen regeneration in the vaginal mucosa, strengthening the vaginal walls and narrowing (tightening) the diameter of the vaginal cavity. Treatment takes only a few minutes and produces immediate tightening and contraction.
Causes of VRS
The process of ageing is not the only factor which takes its toll on a woman’s body. Pregnancy and childbirth, menopause and variations in weight gain, are factors which impact on all of a woman’s organs and systems. Childbirth requires the vagina to stretch prodigiously in the course of delivery, weight gain also stretches the body tissues as it does in pregnancy and with the onset of menopause, even the healthiest women will experience the natural process of vaginal stretching (VRS).
VRS – When does it start?
This condition first manifests itself in women from the ages of 30-40, primarily due to childbirth or weight gain and continues to affect the mucosal lining of the vagina. The vagina gradually changes from being an organ with a strong, thick, moist mucosal lining, able to regenerate collagen continuously, to one with a thin, frail and dry mucosal lining which is increasingly unable to regenerate new collagen fibres. Collagen is the protein essential for strengthening connective tissue in all parts of the body including the vagina. Just as skin gradually loses moisture and elasticity, so does the vaginal wall and mucosa.
Symptoms of VRS may also include:
- Vaginal Irritation with itching and burning
- Pain during intercourse (dyspareunia)
- Low vaginal pH, making the environment open to infection
- Degrees of urinary incontinence due to weakened vaginal mucosa
- Er-YAG and CO2 Treatment – Two Non Invasive Laser solutions
VRS no longer need be a condition that women have to endure, along with its unpleasant accompanying symptoms and causing impact on quality of life.
Want to know more about the treatment?
- The treatment consists of three 20 minute sessions, approximately one month apart. These procedures are aimed at restoring the muscle tone of the vagina as well as the mucosal strength and thickness.
- Er-YAG and CO2 lasers have a 360 and 90 degree side firing delivery angle, enabling selective and precise targeting of light beams onto the vaginal wall. This laser energy causes the collagen fibres to immediately contract, stimulating them to produce more collagen to repair themselves.
- There is no preparation required by the patient before or after the procedure.
- There is minimal vaginal discomfort or pain and patients can walk out and resume their normal daily routine after, with the exception of abstaining from sex for a few days.
- Results appear after a few days with the build up of collagen in the vaginal mucosa and continue progressively over 3-6 months, tightening the vaginal walls in the process and restoring the elasticity and moisture producing properties originally existing in the vagina. *results may vary from person to person
- Both partners will experience significant sexual gratification due to the improved strength and thickness of the vaginal wall. This improved structural strength also assists in supporting the bladder. *results may vary from person to person
- With further ageing, vaginal laxity will continue to occur but maintenance treatment can be carried out down the track to sustain collagen production in the vaginal mucosal tissues. *results may vary from person to person